Friday, September 21, 2012

Running...

Let me start of by bragging a little bit… yesterday… I RAN 5 MILES!!!!!!!!!!  5 miles.  A whole 5!!! To some people, that is not a lot.  To me, it is like to the moon and back!  A little history for you… in the beginning of the year, I couldn’t have made it a half mile without wanting to die.  I have never been a runner,  I liked the thought of being a runner, but I have never been a runner.  In 7th grade, I ran cross country.  I hated every moment of it.  I couldn’t breathe, I was horrible at it, when it was cold out my lungs felt like they would crack and explode.  I remember one race in particular where I was so cold and my lungs hurt so bad that I was crying and my coach was trying to encourage me to at least finish ahead of the group that had started after us.  I honestly don’t remember if I did.  I wanted to die.  Fast forward about 26 years to now… I am almost 40 (which is a whole post all on its own!!) and I just happily ran 5 miles.  On my own.  Without anyone forcing me to.  No one cheering me on.  AND I ran each mile in either under 9 minutes per mile or just over.  Happy.  Happy.  Happy.

Tomorrow is my first official 5K run.  I am nervous.  I know I can do it, but it is still nerve wracking being the first one.  It is supposed to be chilly, and rainy, and over all crappy.  Super.  First race, nervous, and now rain pelting me in my face and soaking my clothes.  Can’t wait.  The Dirty Girl race was cold, rainy and over all crappy.  Do you sense a theme??  On the bright side, my kids will be there again to cheer me on and my hubby is also going to make an appearance – I asked him to be there to keep an eye on the kids (one less thing for me to worry about) and I want him to be there at the end and be proud of his wife.  I will post this weekend on how things go!!

I have not been very good about letting you all know my daily food (as some friends have requested I do) and I apologize.  I did however, happen to take a picture of my lunch today that I will share with you.  Very simple, and very good.  I have gotten in the habit on the weekends of cooking up a pound of 99% fat free ground turkey breast to use throughout the week for meals.  It is so helpful.  I have made chili, lettuce wraps…anything you can think up!!  Today for lunch I made up some romaine lettuce wraps with the turkey, tomato basil feta, with a little Ken’s northern Italian dressing on it.  Very filling and easy.  Can’t beat that!!



Today is my husband’s birthday so we are planning on dinner out, tomorrow is my best friend’s birthday so we are planning on drinks out tomorrow night… I actually like these days because I can teach myself how to stick to plan and still be successful.  If you never face any challenges, then you never learn how to deal with them in the right way. 


No comments:

Post a Comment