Wednesday, September 26, 2012

My First 5K Run...

Well, I did it.  I made it.  I survived.  I loved it!!  It was cold and rainy, rainy and cold… but I still loved it!!  I ran my first 5K this past weekend.  It was a local race called the Genesee ARC Friends & Family 5K.  It was a pretty hilly run, not huge hills, but the gradual kind that tend to eat your leg muscles.  Luckily, the area that I usually run at home is also full of these hills so I don’t think that held me back too much.  I came in 3rd in my age group and 61st overall.  My time was 29.11 which puts me a little over a 9 minute mile.  I will take it.  Happily.  It was an extremely well organized event for a great cause that is near and dear to my heart.   I received a t-shirt for the race, a bag of goodies and coupons and free food.  My kids were there with me and they also received the goodie bag and free drinks and food after the race.  I will be doing this race again. 


The Finish Line!!


Sporting my Race Pink T for the 1st official time!



I actually enjoyed the idea of participating in the race that I am already signed up for another one!! Another local race in a couple weeks.  This one is more of a cross country type race through orchards, corn fields and woods.  I am very excited.  I am also considering a local turkey trot on Thanksgiving morning.  Yep, I think there might be an addiction happening here!!  There are definitely worse things to be addicted to!

After taking Sunday and Monday off from exercise due to life getting in the way, I knew, for my sake, and the sake of people around me, I needed to do something last night.  Who knew that I would be one of those people that got cranky if they didn’t exercise??  I am shocked.  I decided to go for a run.  I got a little bit of a late start so I was planning on running 3 miles and I actually got in 4 miles.  I was pretty disappointed about half way through because the air was very heavy and made it extremely hard to breathe.  I had to take 2 breather breaks.  My time was still great even with the walking breaks (9:03) so had I been able to do it without, my time would have rocked!! Ha! Have I mentioned at all that I love using the Map My Run app when running???  It tells you when you have reached each mile and what your time is.  For me, that keeps me motivated to try my best to not fall off that pace too much as I run on.  I even had it running when I did the 5K so I knew how I was doing and how far I still needed to go, since I was clueless on the course.

I have been pretty much horrible the last couple of weeks with planning my dinners or making anything new so I apologize for no ideas for you.  Last night I whipped up a little, well, I don’t know what to call it.  I made the kids spaghetti (whole wheat of course) and I didn’t want just regular spaghetti and sauce because for some reason, I don’t have a turn off switch when I eat that and before I know it, I have eaten enough for 3 people. So, I defrosted some shrimp, threw them in a can of diced tomatoes, added a bunch of crushed red pepper and just a little pasta.  Very quick, very easy and very good.

Moral of the dinner story, if you have easy healthy food in your house, when you are in a pinch, you can still come up with an easy healthy meal that won’t throw off everything you are working so hard for.

No comments:

Post a Comment